We are pleased to release the Year 9 Term 2 ‘Achievement‘ and ‘Applying Your Knowledge’ tests.
For those of you following the NCELP Schemes of Work, the ‘assessment week’ is Term 2.2 Week 5.
‘Achievement‘ tests and ‘Applying Your Knowledge‘ tests
The ‘Achievement’ test is designed to assess students’ knowledge of a principled sample of phonics, vocabulary, and grammar (PVG) features. 50% of the features are from Year 7 Term 1.1 – Y9 Term 1.2 Week 5 inclusive. 50% are from Y9 Term 1.2 Week 6 – Y9 Term 2.2 Week 3 inclusive.
The ‘Applying Your Knowledge’ test brings together the PVG strands in a more holistic assessment of listening, reading, writing and speaking. This aims to assess students’ ability to apply their knowledge in a fuller context through listening and reading comprehension, semi-structured written production, reading aloud and oral picture description.
Given the current situation, we are providing ‘pen & paper’ tests which can be completed by students either in class or at home. Word documents with clickable tick boxes and embedded links to Vocaroo are provided so that students can email their responses to teachers in one document. Pre-recorded audio files, with instructions and pauses built in, are provided for teachers to disseminate alongside the test papers.
The timings for each subsection are given on the test papers. We expect that the listening, reading and writing parts of both the achievement tests and the applying your knowledge tests can be comfortably completed in 50 minutes per test. Therefore, we recommend setting both tests over the course of the full week.
Note – as there are speaking elements in both the Achievement and the Applying Your Knowledge tests, both using Vocaroo, it may make sense for students to do the Achievement AND Applying Your Knowledge speaking elements at the same time.
Paper copies of the assessments have been uploaded to the Resource Portal:
- Year 9 French Term 2.2 achievement tests
- Year 9 French Term 2.2 applying your knowledge tests
- Year 9 German Term 2.2 achievement tests
- Year 9 German Term 2.2 applying your knowledge tests
- Year 9 Spanish Term 2.2 achievement tests
- Year 9 Spanish Term 2.2 applying your knowledge tests
Here, you will find, for each language:
- the test paper
- the mark scheme
- the transcript for the listening sections of each test
- accompanying audio recordings, in mp3 format
- excel score logs, with a short instruction guide
- a practice test containing example questions and rubrics that closely mirror those used in the real test.