Information about the new self-study course supported by four x 60 minute remote Teach-Meets and final in-person, regional Teach-Meet running January & February 2023
NCELP CPD Course: Curriculum Design and the new GCSE
The course consists of five self-study modules available on the NCELP Learning Management System (LMS) on: principles of curriculum design, phonics, vocabulary, grammar, and culture and assessment.
The self study modules are complemented by four 60-minute remote follow up Teach-Meet sessions. These highly practical sessions are led by our experienced Course Leaders, with ‘ask the practitioner’ and resource sharing opportunities.
The course ends with an opportunity to attend an in-person regional Teach-Meet.
Each module of the course is split into a number of parts. This allows participants to undertake each module in a number of different sittings. There are activities included within each part to help strengthen participants’ understanding of the themes, such as reflection questions and ‘hands-on’ tasks.
The Teach-Meets are set up in such a way as to build on participants’ knowledge gained through engagement in the module materials. We ask participants to engage in the module materials beforehand, so that they can derive maximum benefit from the sessions and engender rich discussions. Therefore, whilst the course is flexible and self-paced, it is recommended that modules are completed on the LMS in line with the following schedule:
|Deadlines for module completion||Options A-C||Option D|
|Module 1||Week beginning 09/01/23||Week beginning 9/01/23|
|Module 2||Week beginning 16/01/23||Week beginning 23/01/23|
|Module 3||Week beginning 30/01/23||Week beginning 06/02/23|
|Module 4||Week beginning 06/02/23||Week beginning 13/02/23|
|Module 5||Week beginning 20/02/23||Week beginning 20/02/23|
This CPD course is particularly suited to colleagues in leadership positions such as Head of Department, Head of Subject, Trust-wide MFL Lead.
The course is designed for those new to NCELP approaches, though it would also suit participants who want to develop their understanding further (for example teachers who have already adopted NCELP Schemes of Work).
Benefits of self-study + Teach-Meets:
- Engage in the NCELP CPD course content at a pace to suit you
- Each module is spilt into a number of parts allowing you to undertake each module in a number of different sittings
- Take advantage of the 60 minute Teach-Meets to ask experienced practitioners about practical hints and tips for successful implementation of NCELP approaches in the classroom
- Come together with course completers from your local area at the end of the course to network, discuss next steps and action plan collegially
The optional 60-minute follow up Teach-Meet sessions will take place over Zoom. There are five date options for each module Teach-Meet as listed in the table below.
|Teach-Meet||Option A||Option B||Option C||Option D|
|Mon 9 Jan, 15:45 – 16:45||Tues 10 Jan, 16:00 – 17:00||Weds 11 Jan, 15: 45 – 16:45||Thurs 12 Jan, 16:00 – 17:00|
|Mon 16 Jan, 15:45 – 16:45||Tues 17 Jan, 16:00 – 17:00||Weds 18 Jan, 15: 45 – 16:45||Thurs 26 Jan, 16:00 – 17:00|
|Mon 30 Jan, 15:45 – 16:45||Tues 31 Jan, 16:00 – 17:00||Weds 1 Feb,|
15: 45 – 16:45
|Thurs 9 Feb, 16:00 – 17:00|
|Mon 6 Feb, 15:45 – 16:45||Tues 7 Feb, 16:00 – 17:00||Weds 8 Feb,|
15: 45 – 16:45
|Thurs 16 Feb, 16:00 – 17:00|
Regional school-based Teach-Meet – a ‘next steps’ collaborative planning session
At the end of the course we are offering a variety of regional Teach-Meet sessions as part of this programme in February/March 2023. These ‘next-steps’ sessions are hosted by our Course Leaders and provide the opportunity for teachers to come together and work collaboratively to share ideas on next steps to prepare for the new GCSE as well as develop practice further. The venues and session timetable is listed below in date/time order. (Please note that more dates / venues may be added).
|TM5-A.1||St James School, Exeter, Devon||Mon 20 Feb, Times TBC|
|TM5-G.1||Herfordshire area, Venue TBC||Mon 20 Feb, 16:00-17:30|
|TM5-E.1||Archbishop Temple School, Preston, Lancashire||Tues 21 Feb, 16:00-17:30|
|TM5-B.1||Blatchington Mill School, Hove, Brighton||Tues 21 Feb, 16:00-17:30|
|TM5-F.1||Dartford Grammar School, Kent||Tues 21 Feb, 16:00-17:30|
|TM5-G.2||Presdales School, Ware, Hertfordshire||Wed 22 Feb, 16:00-17:30|
|TM5-C.1||Sir William Borlase’s Grammar School, Marlow, Buckinghamshire||Wed 22 Feb, 16:00-17:30|
|TM5-C.2||Venue TBC||Thu 23 Feb, 16:00-17:30|
|ER1||East Riding of Yorkshire,TBC||Tue 28 Feb, 16:00–17:30|
|YNS-Y||Huntington School, York, North Yorkshire||Tue 28 Feb, 16:00-17:30|
|YNS-D||The Laurel Academy, Mexborough, South Yorkshire||Wed 1 Mar, 16:00-17:30|
|YNS-S||Scalby School, Scarborough, North Yorkshire||Wed 1 Mar, 16:00-17:30|
|TM5-C.3||Venue TBC||Thu 2 Mar, 16:00-17:30|
|TM5-D.1||Cardinal Hume Catholic School, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear||Thur 2 Mar, 16:00-17:30|
|YNS-L||The Ruth Gorse Academy, Leeds, West Yorkshire||Tue 7 Mar, 16:30-18:00|
We welcome registrants if:
- You are involved in Modern Foreign Language education (and can cascade course content to MFL colleagues, including to in-service and/or pre-service teachers or trainees).
- You are:
- EITHER working in an eligible school in England (that teaches French and/or German and/or Spanish) – schools that receive public funding from the government are eligible.
- OR a state-funded university-based or SCITT-based teacher trainer providing courses to secondary pre-service teachers or trainees in French and/or German and/or Spanish teaching.
- Practising teachers in state schools (any number of teachers can apply from a single school – but numbers may be restricted if demand is very high)
- Unqualified practising teachers
- Secondary school advisors/consultants (employed by a school, an academy trust or a local authority to support state schools)
- Teacher trainers
Registration for the course
To register for the MFL CPD Course: Curriculum design and the new GCSE, please read the pre-registration guidance notes, terms and conditions and our privacy notice and then complete the registration form below.