An Introduction to NCELP – online event
Held on Friday 20 November 2020 (online Zoom webinar)
Over 200 Language teachers from all over England came together to learn about our research-informed MFL teaching approaches and resources. Our new Key Stage 3 schemes of work are free, Ofsted-aligned and available for French, German and Spanish. They aim to improve curriculum design, pupil progression and motivation through the three key strands of phonics, vocabulary and grammar.
Direct links to the resources and video recordings
- Opening Session: What is NCELP? (link to Resource Portal), Rachel Hawkes, Emma Marsden and David Shanks.
Opening session recording (link to YouTube)
- Phonics (link to Resource Portal), Mel Yates
Phonics recording (link to YouTube)
- Vocabulary (link to Resource Portal), Joanna Cairns and Stephanie Schmitt
Vocabulary recording (link to YouTube)
- Vocabulary Profiling and Computational Tools (link to Resource Portal), Louise Bergon
Vocabulary Profiling recording (link to YouTube)
- Grammar (link to Resource Portal), Joe Fincham
Grammar recording (link to YouTube)
- Assessment (link to Resource Portal), Stuart Williams
Assessment recording (link to YouTube)
- Schemes of Work (SOW) and Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL), Emma Fletcher and Jenny Hopper
SOW and CALL recording
- Closing Session: Next Steps and Q&A
Q&A recording (link to YouTube)
All of the above are available in the NCELP online conference collection on the Resource Portal. In the description of each resource you will find a link to the recording of the session on YouTube.
During the conference a teacher demonstrated use of our new MultiLingProfiler, a lexical profiling tool for French, German and Spanish, developed by NCELP in partnership with Prof. Laurence Anthony (Waseda University).
What attendees said about the conference
“Really well organised, engaging and easy to follow with a lot of effort put in from teachers. Great to see their enthusiasm about participating in the project and how well their students are doing!”
“Having had some CPD previously on the NCELP schemes of work at ALL Yorkshire/Humber events, I really appreciated seeing the application of the resources by teachers. I would very much like to see NCELP being a nation-wide approach being taken into Key Stage 4. Thank you so much for an excellent conference!”
“The session was helpful and made me realise that with NCELP teaching MFL shouldn’t be stressful or boring but engaging and fun.”
“I thought the presenters were really good – they spoke with knowledge and experience of what NCELP is doing. Real teachers with real experience – this is so valuable.”
Other useful links
- Natalie Finlayson, Resource Developer, Tweeted throughout the conference. Visit #ncelpnov20 for the highlights.
- NCELP Resource Portal
- Why teach the NCELP Key Stage 3 MLF schemes of work in your school? (link to flyer on Resource Portal)
- NCELP Schemes of Work
- NCELP teacher professional development screencasts
- Gaming Grammar
- MultiLingProfiler (link to website)